RAPD analysis of genetic structure in four natural populations of Taxus baccata from southern Poland

Marcin Zarek

Abstract

This work assessed genetic diversity and genetic structure using random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) variation in 120 individuals of four natural populations of Taxus baccata growing in southern Poland (3 in mountains and one in lowland) to obtain basic information on this natural resource. With 9 primers, 185 highly reproducible and clear RAPD bands were obtained. Genetic diversity within populations was relatively high, with percentages of polymorphic bands ranging from 48.65% to 77.30%, averaging 69.59% (Shannon index 0.311). Global AMOVA showed that genetic variation between populations accounted for 26% of total variation, with the remainder (74%) occurring within population. Pairwise ΦPT values were not correlated with geographic distance. Two groups of populations were distinguished by ANOVA and principal coordinate analysis (PCO) based on a Euclidean metric: those growing in mountains (Nowa Wieś, Cisowa Gora, Zadni Gaj), with higher internal diversity, and those growing in lowlands (Liswarta), with lower internal diversity. The results are typical for an outcrossing, wind-pollinated and long-lived woody species
Author Marcin Zarek (FoF / FEPI / DoFFMaPoT)
Marcin Zarek,,
- DEPARTMENT OF FOREST FITOPATOLOGY, MYKOLOGY AND PHYSIOLOGY OF TREES
Journal seriesActa Biologica Cracoviensia Series Botanica, ISSN 0001-5296, e-ISSN 1898-0295, (A 40 pkt)
Issue year2009
Vol51
No2
Pages67-75
Publication size in sheets0.5
Keywords in EnglishDNA markers, genetic diversity, RAPD, Taxus baccata L., yew.
Languageen angielski
Score (nominal)10
Publication indicators WoS Citations = 10
Citation count*11 (2016-05-15)
Cite
Share Share

Get link to the record


* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or Perish system.
Back
Confirmation
Are you sure?